Career Path Model
We see our candidate attorneys as future associates (and eventually, directors) of the firm. The typical career path that our candidate attorneys follow once joining CDH is described in the vertical timeline below:
Candidate Attorney (2 years)
You are required to complete a compulsory 2-year period of practical vocational training before being considered for retention as an associate. Towards the end of your practical vocational training, we will consider the retention of our second-year candidate attorneys.
Associate (3 years)
Before being eligible to apply for promotion to senior associate, associates are required to practice for at least 3 years in a particular practice area. In considering promotion, various factors are taken into account.
Senior Associate (3 years)
Before being eligible to apply for promotion to director, senior associates are required to practice for at least 3 years in a particular practice area. In considering promotion, various factors are taken into account.
After serving as a senior associate for at least 3 years, professionals are eligible to apply for directorship. In considering promotion, various factors are taken into account including the ability to practice independently as possible and the ability to effectively lead and manage a team.
We firmly believe that candidate attorneys will achieve the best level of experience and learning through exposure to different practice areas. For this reason, our candidate attorneys rotate through different practice areas every six months. Our intention is to provide candidate attorneys with an opportunity to explore where their niche lies and gain wide ranging practical experience that will stand them in good stead wherever they may ultimately practice.
Meet our CAs
Meet our 1st and 2nd year Candidate Attorneys
Knowledge Management and Training
Immediate access to information and knowledge is critical.
In an environment where efficiency matters, Cliffe Dekker Hofmeyr invests considerable time and resources in Information Management and Knowledge Management.
Our Knowledge Management team supports lawyers in finding and retrieving the right answers from a wide range of systems, information sources and firm best practices.
Knowledge Management puts the combined expertise of the firm at our lawyers’ fingertips.
Our Knowledge Management team facilitates and coordinates efforts to enhance the firm’s intellectual capital. In addition, the team facilitates continuous training and skills development programmes
We value training, learning and professional development as an important part of Cliffe Dekker Hofmeyr’s corporate culture.
We offer a comprehensive in-house training programme which includes:
- An accredited, in-house Practical Vocational Training Course for candidate attorneys;
- An accredited, in-house Practice Management Training programme for new directors;
- Legal skills development programmes;
- Continuous professional development programmes;
- Regular case law discussions and presentations on a range of specialist legal topics;
- Annual updates;
- Regular computer applications training sessions for all staff members;
- Workshops, seminars and tailor-made training sessions and training material for clients.
- We invest considerable time and resources in ensuring that our Candidate Attorneys receive adequate exposure, training and guidance during the course of their Practical Vocational Training.